Thursday, December 15, 2011

And a Little Child Shall Lead Them

    If there ever was a time of year when children lead us adults in joy, wonder, and imagination, it's Christmas time.  Seeing through the eyes of a child, we experience the magic of Christmas once again.  Remember when the days leading up to Christmas seemed to last forever?  Remember when the possibilities seemed endless when you filled out your Christmas list?  Remember when you woke up WAY before dawn to rush into the living room where presents were stacked around the Christmas tree?  There was no such thing as stress or pressure during this time.  Only excitement and happiness and wonder.  Don't you wish you could recapture some of that childlike excitment this time of year?
    I'm fortunate to experience Christmas with a 4 and 2 year old this year.  I love watching their eyes dance when we open our advent calendars and light candles.  I love witnessing their excitement as they pick toys for other children listed on the angel tree.  I love watching them become animated as we anticipate lighting the advent wreath in church this Sunday, or the coming of grandma and grandpoo, or reiterating the one or two things they really want for Christmas.
    My children have helped me to dream and imagine once again.  If the possibilities are endless, what do I want for Christmas?  Peace, hope, wisdom, joy.  That's at least a good start.  And why not?  Are these not gifts that come from God for those who ask, seek, and knock? 
    After all, who is putting all that adult stress and pressure and expectation on me, anyway?  So maybe this year I'm going to be a little less adultlike, and a little more childlike.  Maybe I'll wonder a little more, allow the excitement to seep into my bones,  and awaken my imagination to the endless possibilities that Christmas brings.  And my little children shall lead me.

No comments:

Post a Comment