Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Ready or Not...

No one is ever ready to be transformed.  Even when a caterpillar goes into a cocoon, it never knows exactly what will happen or how the transformation will end.  As I prepare to enter into a time of transformation through a pilgrimage to Israel, it's hard to know what to expect. Will this once-in-a-lifetime trip live up to my high expectations? Will I really be transformed? If so, what will the process be like? Who will I be afterward?

My last pilgrimage was on the Camino de Santiago in Northern Spain for 6 weeks in 2006.  I hiked with my father the 500 mile trail to arrive 38 days later in Santiago.  And yes, I was transformed. I am still living out the implications of that pilgrimage: the importance of being aware of God's presence every day, the humility to start one's day being open to whatever it holds (even if it wasn't according to the plan), the gift of slowing down and living a more relaxed pace, the opportunity to get to know strangers who quickly become friends, and the surrendering of my will to God's will. I am still affected by that pilgrimage and continue to live out those lessons.

Will this trip be a similar transformative experience or am I asking too much? Only time will tell as I prepare to leave the country in 72 hours. In the meantime, I ask for your prayers: for safety, for clarity in hearing God’s voice, for openness to new experiences, for growth in my spiritual life, and for Nelio and the kids who are making it possible for me to go. Prayers for Mulberry Presbyterian Church: the staff who are filling in the gaps, the two guests preachers and guest celebrant for communion, the congregation.

I am grateful that this time I can share my pilgrimage on a day to day basis with those I love and care for. In addition to my personal journaling, I will post as often as possible the experiences I am having overseas.  So in many ways, I am not just going for myself, but I am taking this pilgrimage for all those who want to join me.  Thank you so much for your love, your prayers, and your support.  God bless.

2 comments:

  1. Safety, clarity, openness, spiritual growth, family -- these sound like good things to pray for even if you weren't taking a pilgrimage but they are especially important as you embark on this trip. You're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Carolyn, and thank you. I so appreciate your prayers and you. I hope you and your young women are doing well.

    ReplyDelete