Monday, March 24, 2014

Baptized at the Jordan River

Well, I wasn't really baptized at the Jordan River since my baptism occurred when I was 2 years old in California. But I reaffirmed my baptism at the Jordan River when I was in Israel a few short weeks ago. I had never been "dunked" before and in the cooler waters of the Jordan it was quite a "refreshing" experience.

Baptism is a beautiful sacrament in the church. Through the power of the Holy Spirit, one's sins are wiped clean and a person is welcomed into the church universal. In my tradition the sacrament is usually for infants, although I have done a few adult baptisms in my lifetime. In fact, Nelio and I will have Alex baptized this summer now that he has turned 5 years old. We wanted him to be a part of his baptism and to remember it, as we did with Christian 2 years ago.

Having experienced "baptism" by immersion, I can see why that method is so appealing to adult believers. It really does allow one to die in Christ, die to self, die by being submersed in water, and then "resurrected" up out of the water, a new creation.

I feel very fortunate to be able to experience this for the first time in the Jordan River. Thanks to our guide Meir More who took this video, unbeknownst to me. A few pastors travelling with their church members from the US were gracious enough to assist.

This was truly one of the highlights of my Israel trip and I moment I will not forget. Please click on the link to see the video. Chris' "baptism" in the Jordan River

No comments:

Post a Comment