Monday, June 16, 2014

GA Day 2 - Filled and Poured Out

Sunday morning and over 40 churches in the Detroit area hosted GA commissioners for worship. I had the great honor of worshipping at Broadstreet Presbyterian Church, an African American congregation. I think we tripled the worship attendance that day but it was an inspiring, moving, exhilirating experience (can you say that about your worship last Sunday?). Lo and behold there is a guest preacher who is none other than the Rev. Dr. Jerry Cannon, a pastor only a few miles from the church I serve in Charlotte. I can't believe I had to go all the way to Detroit to hear Jerry preach, but it was well worth it.

With humor, energy, memorable illustrations, and calling out people's names during the sermon (including mine), one couldn't help but leave worship 10 feet off the ground, ready to show hospitality and love to our neighbor. The choir had a special welcome song for all of the visitors, we took at least 15 minutes to share the peace, we had an altar call (yes you can do that in the Presbyterian church), and we had a delicious lunch afterward. The one hour and forty five minute worship service flew by. What a blessing to be a recipient of Rev. Cannon's preaching.

Well, after worship like that, we came back to sit in a hard, sterile seat and listen to an hour's worth of four special committees make their pitch to support their recommendations. Of course they will do it again when we actually vote on these issues on Thursday or Friday, but I guess they wanted to get a head start persuading us. After a worship service like I had in the morning, it was sure hard to focus on the dry, boring presentations.

On a more hopeful note, we commissioned the Young Adult Volunteers and Mission Workers to overseas service which brought tears to my eyes.  It was in 1998 in Charlotte that I was standing where they were, commissioned to embark on my year in Ghana, West Africa. In fact, the entire Young Adult Volunteer program was lifted up for its 20 year anniversary. My time as a YAV was life changing and continues to influence me today. I am grateful to be a recipient of this amazing program.

Then it was time to go to our individual committees. There are 15 standing committees and commissioners are randomly assigned to one of the fifteen. Mine is Theological Issues and Institutions, but we would not get into any business today. Instead we worshipped and participated in ice breakers meant to get us to mingle and get to know each other. It was actually fun to get to know some more people and what we have in common.

We ended at 9:30 pm but since I had volunteered to read some minutes I stayed to talk with the moderator and parlamentarian about my edits. Somehow I was then asked to be the spokesperson for the group and to type up the edits and recommendations for tomorrow's meeting. I then spent until 11:30 pm creating that document. 

I went to bed exhausted but filled. Glad to be filled by the Spirit in the morning and glad to pour out my gifts to the committee at night.  Tomorrow we start the real committee work. We will see what God has in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment