Sunday, May 17, 2015

Going Back Down the Mountain

          As I sit in the airport once again ready to return home, I am now better equipped to enter the whirlwind of packing up all my worldly belongings and moving to our new house in Virginia Beach next weekend. I am better equipped to learn from and lead the congregation I serve. I am better equipped to feed myself and others with God's Word through the preaching moment. 
          Why? Because I have taken the time to sit at the feet of some of the greatest preachers of our time. Because I have set aside time to be nurtured by family. Because I carved out time to take a deep breath, slow down my frantic pace, and rediscover my center once again. 
          After all, that's why I come to these conferences.  That's why I miss moments like Alex losing his first tooth and Christian trying out for soccer. That's why I make the sacrifice. To be the best pastor, mom, wife I can be, I need to retreat at times and renew my passion for who I am and what I'm called to do. 
          Jesus needed some time away to reconnect with God and his purpose. It's a healthy rhythm we all need. I am grateful for a congregation that understands and supports this need. I am grateful to a husband willing to "hold down the fort" while I'm gone. I am grateful to a God who is always faithful to meet me where I am and give me what I need to do what God asks me to do. Deep breath. Time to go back down the mountain. 

1 comment:

  1. Pastor Chris, thanks for blogging! I have enjoyed all your posts as have many who mentioned them at church on Sunday. I know my life is gritty. If you preach to me a God of fidelity, the grit becomes traction. I have always thought that KGPC wants to wrestle with tough parts of Scripture. We are close enough to differ in our opinions without turning our backs on each other. Preach on. Lastly, I want your life to be full and enjoyable, not frantic. I want you to look back in 15 years to a wonderful and joyous time in your life. Lean on us, we already lean on you enough. Blessings, Dan Duquette

    ReplyDelete