Monday, May 11, 2015

Taking a Deep Breath


     As a child, I loved swimming in my friend's pool. We would often race each other the length of the pool under water. After I had gone about half way, I would have to come up for air. I quickly exhaled and then took the deepest breath I could before becoming submerged once again to finish the race. That's what these next four hours are: a deep breath before I go under water once again.
     After being submerged in the waters of moving to Virginia Beach, learning new routines, getting to know a new congregation, having half our stuff still packed and sitting in the rental garage, searching for a house to buy, trying to sell the Charlotte house, a small flood in the rental house, celebrating three birthdays, hosting my entire family during Holy Week, and two trips back to Charlotte, it's time to come up for a deep breath.  A time to relax even if I am on a full flight on the way to Denver to attend the national preaching conference, Festival of Homiletics. Since I'm too cheap to pay for wi-fi, I find myself in an odd predicament. I can't multi-task. I can hardly single task. Trapped in a small seat for several hours, I am forced to "Be still and know that God is God." God has me where God wants me.
     Deep breath. Ruach means breath. It also means spirit. As I take a deep breath, I also breathe in the Spirit. I need a mini-Pentecost. A fresh experience of the Holy Spirit. Life has become too hectic and I sometimes lose perspective. I lose my temper with the kids (and my husband) too quickly. I get too overwhelmed with fixing up the new house so we can move in Memorial Day weekend. I feel like I'm behind the curve with so much more to learn at the new church. I lose my sense of peace. Ironically I also just started teaching a class based on Marjorie Thompson's book Soul Feast, all about the spiritual disciplines. Not a coincidence that I'm teaching this book when I myself need to focus on the spiritual disciplines more than ever before. Not a coincidence. Rather a God incident. 
     Deep breath. In the class last week, we talk about breath prayers, a one sentence prayer that is thought of or whispered while breathing in and out. Two people had brought up my favorite scripture for breath prayer before I had the chance to introduce it. "Be still and know that I am God." With every breath I take off one word from the end of the sentence. "Be still and know that I am. Be still and know that I. Be still and know that. Be still and know. Be still and. Be still. Be." By the time I get to "Be" God has stilled my swirling thoughts and frantic lifestyle. I am centered once again.
     Deep breath. Pentecost is coming, in the church calendar year, in our denomination, in our churches, in our lives. Breathe in the Spirit. Allow it to still you or to energize you. Let the Spirit move with the the oxygen into your blood stream and become a part of you. Feel the presence of God and center yourself on the Source of your being. I need that. I forget how much I need that until moments like these when God traps me and stills me and speaks to me.
     Deep breath. As I soar 30,000 feet over the earth, the view above the clouds is serene. It gives me a completely different perspective as the problems of the earth seem so small above the clouds. This week will give me a different perspective also. This wonderful week will bring inspiration, challenge, and growth as I sit at the feet of some of the great preachers of our time. A time to renew and recharge, like my cell phone currently plugged into the charger between the plane seats. I look forward to sharing whatever God whispers in my ear this week. In the meantime...deep...breath.


No comments:

Post a Comment